Balurga County is a vast and remote county in Queensland’s Outback.
It is bounded to the north by Kalkah and Lukin, to the west by Koolatah, and to the east by Cootah and Goathland.
With a population of only a few hundred people, the county is sparsely populated.
Balurga County’s landscape is diverse, with rolling hills, spinifex grasslands, and sandstone gorges.
There are several rivers and creeks in the county, including the Balurga Creek and the Birdsville Developmental Road.
Balurga County is a popular Outback tourist destination. Visitors to the county can engage in a variety of activities such as fishing, camping, birdwatching, and four-wheel driving.
Things to do in Balurga County
- Fishing: Balurga County has several rivers and creeks that are all stocked with fish. Balurga Creek, Birdsville Developmental Road, and the Boulia Waterhole are all popular fishing spots.
- Camping: Balurga County has a variety of camping areas, ranging from primitive bush camps to fully equipped campgrounds. The Balurga Creek Camping Area, the Birdsville Developmental Road Camping Area, and the Boulia Campground are all popular places to camp.
- Birdwatching: Balurga County is home to numerous bird species, including emus, kangaroos, and parrots. Balurga Creek, Birdsville Developmental Road, and the Boulia Waterhole are all popular birdwatching locations.
- Four-wheel driving: Balurga County is an excellent location for four-wheel driving. There are numerous tracks and trails to choose from, ranging in difficulty from easy to difficult. The Birdsville Developmental Road, the Boulia Road, and the Balurga Creek Track are all popular four-wheel driving trails.
Tips for visiting Balurga County
- Be prepared for the Outback: Balurga County is in a remote and arid region, so be prepared for Outback conditions. Bring plenty of water, food, and fuel with you.
- Check the weather conditions: The weather in Balurga County can be unpredictable, so make sure to check the forecast before you go. Expect extreme heat, cold, and dust storms.
- Tell someone where you are going: Before embarking on any trip in Balurga County, notify someone of your destination and expected return time. This is critical in the event of an emergency.
Balurga County is a beautiful and distinct region of Queensland. It is a great place to visit for anyone looking for a true Outback experience, with its stunning scenery and abundance of wildlife.